The four keys of talent management
- Select for Talent
- Define the right Outcomes
- Focus on strengths
- Find the right fit
Conventional wisdom encourages you to
- Select a person … based on his experience, intelligence, and determination.
- Set expectations … by defining the right steps.
- Motivate the person … by helping him identify and overcome his weaknesses.
- Develop the person … by helping him learn and get promoted.
However, the revolutionary insight common to great managers is
- When selecting someone, they select for talent … not simply experience, intelligence, or determination.
- When setting expectations, they define the right outcomes … not the right steps.
- When motivating someone, they focus on strengths … not on weaknesses
- When developing someone, they help him find the right fit … not simply the next rung on the ladder.