There are a few guidelines for both the hotel industry and tourists to pivot towards, that would make tourism more resilient as well as climate friendlier. Encouraging destinations that are closer to the traveler, making stays longer and keeping profits local, are some ways to move away from the focus on volume and energy-intense products:
- Increase the length of stay or the length of days in packages sold.
- Focus on closer markets, long-haul travelers are the ones contributing to vast emissions of greenhouse gases.
- Rethink the food that you serve, organic and regional can benefit farmers nearby.
- Move towards a high-value model, where individuals spend more.
- Think about what you buy: a lot of the profit is made by foreign-owned, global platforms such as AirBnB and booking.com.
- Rethink carbon-intense travel, for example cruise holidays.